Sunday, July 1, 2012

I want to be more of a Mary and less of a Martha


Well the title of this post says it all.  Lately, I’ve noticed that I’m busy doing things all the time.  I’m either taking care of the house, which is a good thing, cooking meals, another good thing.  I’ve been spending more quality time with the girls, another important thing. I’m currently working on some crafty things for an upcoming craft show to help my friend Greta raise money for a mission trip for her and her son.  I’m also working on some crochet hats to sell to help raise money for the Feed My Starving Children organization.

See…I’m busy doing, doing, doing.  I’m currently Martha

What I’m not so good at is just being.  Just being at the feet of Jesus and spending time with Him. I’ll be honest I can’t remember the last time I deliberately sat down and wrote in my prayer journal.  Even though I say prayers all day long in my head, and sometimes out loud.  I have no system for studying my Bible so I’ve been feeling like I’m not getting anything out of it.  I did find a post about a “system”one lady uses and I’m going to see if I like it.  I also printed off some prayer cards with 31days of praying for my husband.

One thing that makes me sad about not being more like Mary is that I’m not teaching my girls to be like Mary.  I know they are little still but they are learning by watching me.  And if they don’t see me opening my Bible and sitting at the feet of Jesus they won’t do it either.

I also need to work on getting the Word of God into their hearts.  I want to start with Psalm 23 and read it to them every night before bed.

The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need.  He lets me rest in green meadows; he lead me beside peaceful streams.  He renews my strength.  He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.  Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.  You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil.

My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.

Not only will this get the Word into their hearts.  It will root its place in mine.  I need to make this my top priority right now.   I need to get out of bed early enough to be able to start my day with Jesus.

I did start "coloring" in my Bible today during nap time.  I really felt like I got more out of it.  Being able to illustrate what God was telling me.  I'm excited to go at it again tomorrow.



1 comment:

  1. Great post Anita. I think I'm a bit of both at the moment, though for the longest time I definitely was more of a Martha. :)

    ReplyDelete